Beauty professionals provide a wide range of services that help clients to look and feel their best. However, being able to accomplish this mission is largely dependent on well you’re taking care of yourself, as you truly can’t help others before helping yourself. If you’re a beauty professional or student who has been having a hard time during the COVID-19 pandemic, Inspire Greatness Aveda Institutes shares some COVID-19 safety and wellness tips that could prove beneficial to your mood and overall career.
Maintain Your Physical Health
Whether you’re working on the set of a Hollywood blockbuster or helping a bride get ready for her wedding day, maintaining your physical health and fitness is crucial to your success in the beauty industry. Working long hours on your feet and working with a variety of handheld tools, you simply need your stamina to give your clients the results they’re after. However, the pandemic has made exercising difficult for those who rely on going to the gym, and the hard times have led many into spells of depression that make it difficult to get up and move around.
Do everything in your power to get up and be active. Physical activity releases endorphins, which are known as feel-good hormones and can improve your mood – as well as the experience you’re providing to customers. Here are a few things you can do at home to stimulate your body and maintain constant energy levels throughout the day:
- Avoid excessive alcohol or drug use.
- Get outside as frequently as possible while obeying public health mandates.
- Get seven to eight hours of sleep per night.
- Maintain a well-balanced diet and fluid intake.
- Practice breathing exercises.
- Stretch often.
Carefully Monitor Your Mental Health
Spending prolonged amounts of time indoors with minimal social contact has negative effects on mental health. Couple that with not being able to partake in a lot of your favorite activities, and it’s only natural to feel like the pandemic has diminished your mental health. Stay positive and try these tips to maintain a healthy state of mind:
- Engage in community service where you can.
- Communicate regularly with friends, family, and loved ones.
- Find a reliable source of information, and stay up to date on current events.
- Focus on what you have control over, rather than what is uncontrollable.
- Make a list of things you’re grateful for.
- Read books and listen to music.
- Study a new language.
Establish a Routine and Keep Busy
The best way to practice self-care during the COVID-19 pandemic is to create and maintain a daily routine or schedule. In doing so, you establish a sense of normality in an otherwise extraordinary circumstance. It also provides a sense of accountability, especially if you’re living with another person. Creating this routine may feel difficult, so start with the basics:
- Waking up at a set time every morning
- Establishing when you’ll eat
- Working in time for exercise
- Discovering new hobbies
- Meeting virtually with friends and family
For more COVID-19 safety and wellness tips for current and aspiring beauty professionals, contact Inspire Greatness Aveda Institutes today.